Friday, 14 March 2014

Overwatch and Line of sight

I have a real issue with Overwatch.... This is from the Basic Rule Book on p21:

An Overwatch attack is resolved like a normal shooting attack (albeit one resolved in the enemy's Assault phase) and uses all the normal rules for range, line of sight, cover saves and so on.

As if it wasn't hard enough to kill a few charging marines with the standard Pulse Rifle, they actually have to be in Line of Sight when I fire my guns?

So hang on a second.... Those Space Wolves currently huddled behind that building out of sight.... These guys are going to come tearing around that corner and start charging straight at me!  Can't we assume that if I can't see them now, I'm sure as hell going to be able to see them when they are an inch or two away from me, Chainswords at the ready!

And if a damned Template weapon gets D3 automatic hits (p52 of the Basic Rule Book) and the charging models don't have to be under the Template, or even be physically visible.... Then I think it's a bit crappy to make standard weapons have Line of Sight to the charging enemy!

One of the most badly thought out rules in the book.



NOTE:  One thing I'd not considered until today is that you can't charge a unit that you cannot see!  Basic Rule Book page 20 to the rescue!  This stops stupid assault guys hiding behind a hill or a building and then popping out to assault without risking Overwatch.  Awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment